Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Apple Crumble Cake

I've given up on summer here in Ayrshire now and have instead turned my attentions towards Autumn. I mean, its practically September already, right? And with autumn comes many things. The search for the perfect winter coat (a navy slightly higher than mid-thigh duffle, please?), the dusting off of last year's boots to assess the damage and, of course, apple season! I love apples. So versatile and very easy to bake with. So to celebrate the coming season I decided to bake an apple crumble cake.

I first came across this recipe at the beginning of summer but knew it would make more sense at this time of year. I'm not a huge fan of blackberries so I omitted them immediately and then set to work.


Let me tell you, the smell of this cake whilst it was baking was divine. I could barely wait the 50 minutes it required to bake.


Now, I know it looks good already and without a doubt I can vouch for its tastiness alone but if there's something which improves apples, or anything really, its dulce de leche. This soft caramel made from condensed milk just added the extra sweetness I always crave. And does it ever make things fun to look at.



This cake packs a pretty hefty punch so beware the temptation to cut yourself a huge slice! Two small ones is perfectly okay though, right?

Recipe (adapted from Olive Magazine):


200g butter
150g sugar
3 small apples, cored, peeled and sliced
4 medium eggs
250g self-raising flour
150g dulce de leche


Preheat oven to 170c/gas mark 4.


For the crumble, set aside 50g of the butter and sugar and of the flour into a bowl and mix with your fingertips to create a fine crumble.


In a larger bowl, add the eggs, the rest of the sugar and butter together and whisk until light and fluffy. Add in the flour slowly and fold gently until fully incorporated.


Pour mixture into your baking tin and arrange the apples on top before then scattering the crumble over the entire thing. Put in the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown.


Once cooled, drizzle the dulce de leche over the top and serve!







7 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful apple pie, especially with the addition of dulce de leche.
    I love that you "dress your tin with parchment paper" exactly the way I do it with mine and that I have to find a new winter coat, too, and that I also start thinking about fall and pumpkin soup and sometimes even about a christmas dinner.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing and is exactly what I have been looking for. I was gifted some great heritage apples and didn't want to waste them in a regular pie. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome. The kind I just wanna dig my teeth into..D E L I C I O U S. Definitely getting made! Yup this one is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, so I was loving the post 'as is', and then got down to the dulce de leche. Glorious! A come-hither look if ever I saw one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hazel,

    We've recently launched the site Alldishes.co.uk, where our users can search among hundreds of thousands of recipes from British and Irish food sites and blogs. In our site we have created the Top Food Blogs section, where you can also add your blog. And you don’t have to worry because everything on Alldishes.co.uk is free!

    Our concept is already live in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Germany and Spain. Do you want to be a member of this big family?

    You can also find us on Facebook!

    Kind regards,
    Renato
    Alldishes.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will for sure be adding this to my list of must make recipes this summer! Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete